Some People are Ready to Die


It might sound weird, but I kind of enjoy some funerals.  It's easier now because it has been a while since I have had to deal with the death of someone close to me or someone that seems to have passed away far too young.  Lately I have attended quite a few funerals of people in my church family.  I am often amazed as I hear about the life of service lived by the departed loved one. 

Most speakers at funerals will always paint a beautiful picture of the life that was just lost.  Even if a person was known as bitter and selfish, there will still be some nice things to focus on.  It is an encouragement to look back on the lives of those people who have have given all they had to serve God, their family, and their country.  I often pray that I can live a life that is as dedicated to God, that those that will speak at my funeral will not struggle to find good things to say about me.

Last Thursday I attended the funeral of a sweet lady that gave her life to serve those around her.  I was able to sit in the balcony and run the sound system and videos and just soak in the testimony of her life.  She had been in her nineties and in bad health for a while.  Her husband was on the front row in a wheelchair and in very poor health as well.

Just a few hours after the funeral service, the husband passed away at his home.  It seemed like something out of a love story.  You might immediately romanticize it and imagine that he was ready to let go and be with his wife. 

Some people are ready to die.  Others will never be able to face death with confidence.  One major thing about Christianity that separates it from other belief systems and worldviews is that we can have assurance that death is not our enemy.  If we are united with Christ in his death and resurrection, we are promised that Christ has prepared an eternal home for us with Him. 

Some people are clueless as to what happens after death.  Maybe they think there is no afterlife, and there is no purpose in life but to eat, drink, and enjoy family and friends.  Maybe they believe there is some type of after life but they just don’t know how it all works; they just try to do more good things than bad.  Some think there is no type of judgment; maybe all people will eventually make it to paradise.  To some people, death is a blind date that could go horribly wrong.

Some people are ready to die, but are holding onto life to serve others.  Maybe this husband that passed away after his wife’s funeral wanted to make sure she did not have to mourn his death.  The apostle Paul knew better than anyone the purpose of his own life.  He said that he was ready to die and be with Jesus, but that Jesus desired that he remain on the earth to spread the good news of salvation in Christ and to encourage other Christians to do the same (Philippians 1:21-26).

My grandparents on my mother’s side came to live with my family when they were unable to continue taking care of themselves.  My mother wanted to care for them as she already had for many years.  My grandparents both had the flu on top of their other health problems.  My mother and grandfather, Papaw, both desired to care for my grandmother as best as they could. 

One Thursday my grandfather told my mom over a cup of coffee, "I wish I could stay here and help you take care of your mother, but I can't."  The next day, he said that he needed to be taken to the hospital.  The following day, he passed away in his hospital bed.  He was trying to fight through his own frailty so that his wife could be comforted as much as possible; he did not want her to have to suffer without him. 

Right before he passed away, he turned and looked into an empty corner of his cold hospital room, away from his loved ones in the room.  He looked into the empty corner, as if someone was there asking if he was ready to go. He simply said, "Yes."

For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.
Philippians 1:21 // ESV

Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me. In my Father’s house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also.
John 14:1-3 // ESV


Comments

Popular Posts