Inked

I’ve always wanted a tattoo since I have been old enough to know what one was.  The only problem is that I am afraid of needles.  I think I am growing out of my irrational fear.  Nowadays I will come close to passing out while getting a shot; I used to not be able to tolerate the sight of blood, so I am improving.  I might have all the gore in movies to thank for my ever-strengthening stomach.  Maybe someday I will be man enough to get a tattoo, but it is doubtful.
If I were to get a tattoo, it would probably be on the inside of my left forearm and would say “decrease.”  I don’t just like the word decrease, but it comes from my favorite Bible verse: 
“He must increase; I must decrease” (John 3:30).
The context of the verse is that John the Baptist is speaking of the need to allow Jesus to attract all the attention and for himself to slip into the darkness of anonymity.  John had his time in the spotlight; many people came to him to be baptized and to hear his message about the kingdom of God, but it was time for people to seek Jesus.  
This verse is a great reminder for me to live my life attempting to have Jesus in the spotlight.  I should seek to focus on him and help other people to do the same.  I should not attempt to do anything that will draw people to look at me, but I should point people to Jesus.  I admit that me writing this blog appears that I may be slightly narcissistic and hypocritical -- I am writing my thoughts and feelings down for anyone in the world to read -- and although you are destined to learn a little bit about me as you read posts on this blog, my ultimate desire is that something I write helps you to draw closer to Christ.
I recently watched an old episode of Grey’s Anatomy with my wife.  In the episode, a man was awkward about the idea of having a black person examine his abdomen.  Eventually he gets assigned to an Asian doctor (who is also Jewish) and finally removes his shirt to show that he has a swastika tattooed on his stomach.  He seems to not want black people to touch him, but he is definitely worried that after seeing his tattoo, a black doctor might do something to harm or kill him.  Ultimately, Dr. Bailey, a black surgeon, saves the man’s life.
The swastika is one of the clearest symbols of hatred, racism, and evil.  This man was proud of his white heritage and thought everyone else was beneath him.  This fictional character was not around during the time of the holocaust, but the hatred he represents was there.  In my eyes, the word “decrease” and the message it represents stands in opposition to the swastika. 
I have no reason to be proud apart from Christ.  I cannot hate anyone since Jesus loved  them enough to die for them.  There is nothing I can tattoo on my body apart from the marks of a slave to Christ.  
What would it look like to live a life that points to Christ and makes less of ourselves?  I’m not a good example and will never be a perfect one.  I’m no racist nazi, but the same pride and sin is in my heart that drove Hitler to be Hitler.  However, Jesus humbled Himself and became obedient to death, even death on a cross for me, to save me from my sin so that I can live for Him.  If we follow the example of Christ and sacrifice our lives so that others can have true life, we and our pride will decrease and Jesus will increase in His glory.  

Comments

Popular Posts