Coming up with titles is tricky

I remember learning I had to get glasses as a teenager; I was a little devastated.  Even though I couldn’t see the chalkboard even if I was sitting on the front row, the thought of being even more of a nerd made me want to go through life never knowing my assignments for the night. 

I eventually got used to wearing glasses, although I was never happy about having to do so.
You might find this hard to believe, but not too long ago I was a perfectionist. You see, wearing glasses exaggerated the fact that my right ear is slightly lower than my left.  I hated that my glasses never seemed straight.  I also had the tendency to get my glasses all bent up playing basketball.  I was thrilled when I got older and my mom allowed me to wear contacts.  Now I am back to wearing glasses because I am cheap and you can buy them online for like seven bucks.
There are a couple of reasons I named this blog “Now, where did I put my glasses?”  I wanted the title to reference the idea of writing a blog so that I can see things more clearly.  The goal is for me to understand my thoughts better as I write them down and attempt to make them clear enough for others to read and understand.  Hopefully I can help others see something in a different way or, at the very least, be a little entertained.
Also, the title makes me laugh because it makes me think of my dad.  As he got older he began to realize that he needed reading glasses.  He never went to the eye doctor to get actual prescribed glasses, but just accumulated all kinds of random glasses.  He had quite a few old glasses that his own father used to wear.  Whenever he goes to a store and realizes he doesn’t have a pair of glasses in his pocket, he will buy a new pair.  Eventually, it got to where he had a couple of dozen pairs of glasses scattered around the house, his office, his car, other people’s houses and cars, etc.  Often he will not know where a single pair of glasses are even though they are all over the place.  I’m not sure how many times I have heard, “Now, where did I put my glasses?”
Not many of us has 20/20 vision, and no one sees things clearly all the time, metaphorically speaking.  We can choose to be left in the dark, unable to see the chalkboard, or we can do the things we need to do to see more clearly.  
Sometimes it is as simple as slowing down long enough to think.  
Sometimes we have to try and see the big picture, rather than focus on what is right in front of us.
Sometimes we have to ask for help and get the perspective of others. 
Ultimately we must realize God wants to show us His way rather than living as a blind man being led by another blind man.  




Light is sweet,
and it is pleasant for the eyes to see the sun.

Ecclesiastes 11:7 // ESV


Comments

Popular Posts